May 7, 2014

Sprouted Mung Coconut Dosa

I have not posted a recipe for the about 3 weeks now. Yes, I was still cooking, and I was also coming across new quick'n'healthy recipes that were worth sharing. Just that I was trying to reduce my screen time for a while. I guess it is necessary sometimes to look up from the screen and see what is happening around you. This is very important when you work in the information technology field where you get paid for being hooked on to the screen :-). I have decided to reduce my screen time after work and I will be striving for an optimum social presence from now on.

Anyway coming to today's post, this is a slight variation of 'Pesarattu', the South Indian crepe made with whole mung beans. I am making it with sprouted mung beans and adding some coconut to the mix for some good fat and an extra flavor. Also, coconut has always been a never-fail addition for a good crepe.

Ingredients: 
  • Organic whole mung - 1 cup
  • Shredded coconut - 1/2 cup
  • Green chilly - 2-3
  • Sea salt - as per taste

Directions:
  • To sprout the mung beans: Soak mung beans for 24 hours. Drain and tie them in a nut milk bag or in a clean kitchen towel and hang it away from direct sun light for another 24 hours. (you can also refer to my 'homemade mung sprouts recipe'
  • Grind the sprouted mung along with coconut, green chilly, salt and about a cup of water. Grind till you get a fine batter similar to dosa or crepe batter.
  • Heat a cast iron griddle and make dosas.
  • Serve with your choice of chutney or side dish. See recipe for bell pepper coconut chutney.
  • This makes about 8-10 dosas. 




Bell Pepper Coconut Chutney:
  • Red/orange bell pepper - 1 (chopped)
  • Tomato - 1 (chopped)
  • Coconut shredded - 3/4 cup
  • Green chilly - 3-4
  • Red onion - 1/2 cup (raw or sautéed slightly in coconut oil)
  • Coriander leaves - a small bunch (chopped)
  • Sea salt - as per taste
  • Grind everything to make the chutney. 

Sharing this with:


8 comments:

  1. I totally adore dosas, and this variation is on my must try list now!! Thanks you so much for sharing it with us on AFW, I am featuring your recipe this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tessa :-) Hope you like it when you try ..

      Delete
  2. Delicious and healthy sprouted mung dosa Mini Love it. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Swathi for highlighting at your blog hop :-)

      Delete
  3. I love that this uses sprouted mung beans - can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mini,
    I can always count on you to take us on an amazing culinary journey! Sprouted foods are so nutritious and with this delightful blend of ingredients, I can't wait to try this chutney. I am so glad you shared this healthy and delicious sprouted mung coconut dosa recipe with us at the Plant-Based Potluck Party Blog Hop! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete